Friday, September 21, 2007

blog shmog -- ms.d we miss you!

Opening this blog, almost a year and just four or five posts ago, we said we would share our thoughts and experiences –how we try to adjust and settle in, and tame and navigate a/the new world – small town, big country, some misgivings and a lot of hopes. Essentially, it is meant to be about transitions (in case you have had trouble noticing after reading just a couple of posts:>).

For me personally, a very important part of this transition, was getting to know and making friends with D.

I have always had very few female friends (quality over quantity!) And I haven't really made many new ones – male or female – over the last decade. It takes time and I have been moving far too often. Perhaps, subconsciously, I inoculated myself against getting too close to anyone new. Because as soon as it happened, I (or they) would have to move again.

In this case my inoculation did not work. D has become a close friend and someone very important.

Was it because for a few months we lived within two blocks of each other? Because of our kids? Or because she comes from the Mediterrean and I am a Slav and there is something we share that is different from the Anglo-Saxon sensibility, if you will? Some emotional make-up? Sense of humor?

Or is it because D is an orthodox Jew who treats religion seriously? Neither orthodox, nor a Jew (trying to stay a decent Catholic, which proves complicated at times :>), I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who are as grounded as she is.

Her parenting style? Her always being calm and laid back? (which does not mean she won't yell when one of her three sweet and charming monsters gets out of hand, which, by the way, happens 98% of time; yelling, to be fair, accounts for about 1%; and 43.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot). The fact that she is warm and loving yet also capable of being demanding and able to challenge them and set limits?

Or maybe it was good food and good laugh and good conversation that you could always count on? Or her good-looking and always so-much-fun-to-be- around husband? (Oh Ms. D, I know there are days when you strongly disagree!! And it drives your crazy that everyone marvels at how wonderful your husband is while YOU know much better. I know the feeling!). The warmth and welcome of her home (yes, home, not a house!) whenever you came, whether expected or unannounced?

In some ways, they were my surrogate family. Some substitute for what I left behind when moving away from my hometown -- an extended family, where people always fight and argue and tell awful things straight into your face, but at the same love each other dearly and stay very close.

We never really argued. Not yet (wait until we start talking politics, Israel/Palestine et al. :>! Could that make good blog material?) We did not gossip too much (just very little), we did not talk about old boyfriends, and we did not necessarily share tissues when someone had a bad PMS day (just nappies and wipes when kids run around and into trouble). Under the influence (of D, of course, not alcohol) I tried to take to felting and knitting and it totally did not work. And I was never a good sport for shopping which D LOVES and can't live without.

OK, to the point. I did become quite attached to D.


And guess what?

D, along with her handsome husband and three charming monsters, have just left. RELOCATED! Went home. Except it is not "back home," or not quite. Right or wrong , they believe they would no longer be able to survive (in) Italy after living in the US for ten years. So they are taming Jerusalem right now. A new home?

Talk about big transitions.

Keeping fingers crossed for their hopes and dreams, I am nevertheless (a little) envious of anyone who will have them as friends and neighbors. And (very) sad that they are gone. And curious (big time!) about their new adventure.

To cut the long story short. Ms. D – would you be interested in joining this blog? Maybe it will oblige us here in Princeton to be a little more prolific? And you will feel mobilized (not that there is any pressure!) to drop a few lines once in a while? (Presto! To the whole small world all at once!!).

Well, I hope that you will agree. And the Small World will go global. And more prolific of course!!!


PS1. Global Priority did not prioritize this time, hm? Miraculously, your disorganized friend did retain this receipt, so we can get on their backs and be really annoying! Except, I suspect it might have to do with a small customs issue.... You did not mark the boxes. Not being sure what went into which, I attached the forms pretty much randomly. Do you think anyone might be surprised if they see baby clothing in what is supposed to be a package with "Hanuka decorations"? Perhaps?

PS2 Mr. husband just looked over my shoulder as I was finishing this post and noticed the Anglo-Saxon reference at the beginning. He strongly protests. He does not wish to be categorized as Anglo-Saxon (how does he know I meant it?). He is not, or so he claims, an Anglo-Saxon. I am not sure where he belongs then, but one thing is certain -- I am not admitting him into my Slavic club!!!!

No comments: