Sunday, September 16, 2007

on knowing how to take a compliment

My husband keeps telling me it's an important skill -- this complement-taking business. Apparently you suck it with your mother's milk if you happen to possess an American passport. Or maybe it comes with your social security number.

Who knows.

In any event, they do not seem to have too many issues in the complement department, here in the Uncle Sam's Land. As opposed to us Europeans, especially the Eastern breed..... We hardly ever know how to send a complement, let alone take it!

I got a pretty useful lesson today.

Sunday. Beautiful September morning-- summer almost gone, but the fall has not quite yet arrived. It feels crispy and the light is beautiful.

D springs up from bed at the crack of a dawn (7 am) and is about to leave to "hit a few (tennis) balls". Unshaved, his curly hair in a little bit of a mess, he puts on my favorite grey sweater and a pair of white shorts. Still half-asleep, I catch a glimpse of him. "Hey Mr. R you look very handsome" I say as he is heading out of the room. "I do not look handsome. I AM handsome" replies Mr. Modest.

Ho ho ho!

For a split of second I entertain the possibility of getting out from under my cozy cover and blowing him a big kick. "What the hell does he think. That he transformed into Sam Sheppard overnight?" But it is too cold. And too early. So I stay in bed and think about this modest exchange for a while.

He was right. He did not look handsome. He FELT handsome. Relaxed and energetic, he looked forward to an hour of good work-out with a good friend. This energy and enthusiams showed on his face, in his voice, in the way he walked around the room. In the way he replied. He WAS handsome - because he felt happy.

You need to feel handsome and happy in order to be able to take a complement. Otherwise it just does not sink in.

And yes, it is true -- somehow, those who grew up in Uncle Sam's country, seem better at enjoying the moment, appreciating life's little pleasures and overlooking life's big annoyances. They know how to take a complement. And they are generous with passing ones to others.

(Overgeneralization? Find another blog if you do not like these!)

I do have some issues in this department. Perhaps some self-esteem workout would be in place?

Perhaps I should get up earlier on Sunday mornings? Maybe it would even make sense to take up tennis? (D recently got me a racket!)

One thing is certain, no one in their right mind is going to complement me for playing tennis any time soon....

No comments: